Fun things to do
There’s plenty to do in the Gunnison Valley
Welcome to MESA CAMPGROUND. Here are a few fun things to do around Gunnison during your stay with us.
1. Drive to Crested Butte– lots of neat stores and restaurants.
2. Visit the Mountain Heritage Museum in CB and the Pioneer Museum in Gunnison.
3. Check out The Black Canyon of the Gunnison– spectacular steep walls that change color in different sunlight.
4. Golf at Dos Rios Golf Course, Gunnison . Try the restaurant at Dos Rios Golf Course.
5. Take a raft trip down the Gunnison or Taylor Rivers- easy float or more challenging trips.
6. Go and soak in the natural hot springs at Waunita.
7. Drive up Ohio Pass Road over Kebler Pass- scenic views, Aspens, Lost Lake, waterfalls and wildflowers.
8. Do the loop from Pitkin ( historic mining town) to CR242 to Tin Cup (historic mining town with a neat sandwich shop) back via Taylor Reservoir.
9. ATV rides from Taylor.
10. Take the Morrow Point Reservoir and Boat Ride- beautiful views of the Canyon and Curecanti Needle.
11. Fish in Blue Mesa Lake, Taylor Reservoir, Spring Creek valley, Gunnison and Taylor Rivers, Spring Creek or other numerous streams. Catch salmon, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout. Fly fish or spin casting- boats can be rented at the marina on Blue Mesa.
12. Take a horse ride to the Castles in the Ohio Creek Valley- inspiring spires from the West Elk Volcano. Altenatively enjoy ahorse ride in the country where True Grit was filmed.
13. Take a hike in the Hartman Rocks Recreation Area– 23 trails that offer a variety of uses and skills level on foot, horses and mountain bike.
14. Take a hike on the Curecanti Creek Trail from Pioneer Point down to Morrow Point Reservoir- spectacular views on the way down.
15. Hike to the Dillon Pinnacles- volcanic spires with an impressive view of Blue mesa Reservoir.
16. Drive to Creede over Slumgillion Pass- historic mining town with awe-inspiring drive above Creede to see the mines.
17. Drive to Marble Quarry (white marble that made the Lincoln memorial) – can see Emerald Lake that is very green and deeper than it is wide.
18. Take a jeep tour to see Crystal Mill- historic hydropower source for quarry a century ago.
19. There are a lot of 4 wheel trails- see ghost towns, old mines, etc – 4 wheel jeeps can be rented in Gunnison.
20. Try the Gunnison Valley Driving Tour– self-guided heritage driving tour.
21. Something completely different..go Ballooning with Nostalgia Ballooning!
Other places of interest in and around Gunnison:
Gunnison Farmers’ Market every Saturday morning and the Crested Butte farmers’ Market every Sunday morning.
Gunnison Art Center always has arty things going on.
Crested Butte Center for the Arts
Gunnison Valley Observatory…a must if you like stars.
Gunnison First Friday Art Walk.
Crested Butte Center for the Arts.
Gunnison Art Center.
Crested Butte Mountain Theatre.
Train Museum in Gunnison.
Curecanti National Recreation.